Lancashire cheese and red onion marmalade sandwich
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2-4 tbsp brown sugar
- butter, for spreading
- 4-6 slices white bread
- 150g/5oz Lancashire cheese, sliced, preferably organic
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sliced onions and the sugar. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
- Butter the bread, remove the crusts and cut into squares.
- Top half of the bread with the caramelised onions. Arrange the slices of cheese on top and sandwich with the remaining bread.
- To serve, cut the sandwiches into triangles.